Meniscus Repair Treatment & Diagnostics in Patna, Bihar
Meniscus Repair Overview
Arthroscopic meniscus repair is a procedure used to mend torn knee cartilage. This outpatient surgery employs minimally invasive techniques. The success rate depends on factors like tear age, patient's age, tear location, and pattern. Post-operation, physical therapy is crucial for recovery and may extend for 3-4 months. If the injury is less severe, medication might suffice, eliminating the need for surgery.
Torn Meniscus Symptoms
Common symptoms of torn knee cartilage include knee joint pain and swelling. Engaging in pivoting motions, sudden movements, or putting excessive pressure on the affected area can exacerbate symptoms and worsen the condition. A large torn meniscus fragment might cause knee locking, restricting motion.
Eligibility for Meniscus Repair
Though meniscus repair demands a longer recovery period, it should be performed promptly if feasible. Some criteria for meniscus repair include:
- Good patient health and a desire to maintain an active lifestyle.
- Patient's willingness to comprehend and accept the procedure's risks and associated rehabilitation.
- Feasibility of repair based on tissue quality.
Surgical Techniques for Meniscus Repair
Various surgical techniques for meniscus repair in Patna are available:
- Open Technique: Prepares the torn side, but only the peripheral tears respond well. Risk of neural damage exists. Less common due to this risk.
- Inside-out Method: Highly reliable with proven long-term results. Sutures are passed through a cannula using a self-delivery gun. Knots are tied outside the joint. Risk of neurovascular problems is present.
- Outside-in Method: Introduced to reduce neurovascular risks. A spinal needle is passed from outside to inside the tear, sutures are tied after passing through the needle's sharp end. Repeat until all free ends are knotted.
- All-inside Technique: Uses devices like tack, screws, and staples. Ideal for extreme root attachments or posterior horn tears. Advantages include low risk of neurovascular problems and shorter surgery time.
Risks and Complications
Possible complications include infections, hemarthrosis (bleeding into the joint), instrument failure, ligament injury, neurovascular issues, and fractures.
Benefits of Meniscus Repair
Meniscus repair offers several benefits:
- Pain and inflammation reduction.
- Improved knee control.
- Restored flexibility and muscle function.
- Regained range of motion.
Meniscus repair is essential for torn ligaments, achievable through surgery or non-invasive methods. While modern techniques are generally safe, complications can arise. Recovery duration varies with tear severity and patient age.
For Appointments at Big Apollo Spectra Hospital, Patna
To schedule an appointment, call 0612-3540100.