Best ACL Reconstruction Treatment & Diagnostics in Patna, Bihar
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction is a surgical procedure aimed at repairing a torn or damaged Anterior Cruciate Ligament. This ligament plays a crucial role in connecting the femur (thigh bone) and the tibia (shinbone), providing stability to the knee joint. ACL injuries often occur during sports activities that involve sudden movements or changes in direction.
Understanding ACL Injury
An ACL injury involves the stretching or tearing of the ligament. The ACL is vital for maintaining the integrity of the knee joint, and any injury to it can result in pain and restricted movement. This type of injury is common among athletes who engage in activities that require rapid shifts in direction or jumping. A distinct popping sound might accompany an ACL injury.
Types of ACL Surgery
ACL reconstruction surgery entails replacing the damaged ACL with a graft, which is typically a tendon. The surgical techniques include:
· Allograft Reconstruction: This method employs tissue from a donor, known as an allograft. The donor tissue is usually obtained from a tissue bank. The procedure involves a small incision and is relatively less painful.
· Autograft Reconstruction: Autograft surgery employs tissue taken from the patient's own body. Commonly, the patellar tendon is utilized due to its regrowth potential. Other options include hamstring or quadriceps tendons, though healing might be less efficient. This surgery involves a larger incision and extended recovery time.
· Synthetic or Artificial Graft Reconstruction: This technique utilizes artificial materials, such as carbon fiber or Teflon, to replace the damaged ACL. Research is ongoing to refine these options.
Candidates for ACL Reconstruction Surgery in Patna
Your doctor might recommend ACL reconstruction surgery if:
· You are an athlete, especially in sports involving jumping, pivoting, or sudden changes in direction.
· Your knee has been injured during physical activity, particularly from improper landings or direct blows.
· Multiple ligaments are injured.
· The meniscus (knee cartilage) requires repair as well.
For personalized advice, consult your doctor.
Risks of ACL Reconstruction Surgery
As with any surgery, ACL reconstruction involves certain risks, such as:
· Knee stiffness.
· Insufficient graft healing.
· Blood clot formation (deep vein thrombosis), linked to post-surgery immobility.
· Risk of infections like HIV or hepatitis in allograft surgery.
· Knee instability, pain, swelling, weakness, or numbness.
When to Contact the Doctor
Post-surgery, the initial weeks are crucial for recovery, and regular follow-up appointments are necessary. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience:
· Swelling or pain in the calf, ankle, or foot.
· Breathing difficulties.
· Fever above 101 degrees.
· Persistent pain unresponsive to prescribed medication.
· Signs of infection around the incision.
· Dizziness or confusion.
ACL reconstruction surgery aims to restore a torn ACL, providing stability and function to the knee joint. Proper rehabilitation is key to successful recovery, which might take up to 9 months.
For Appointments at Big Apollo Spectra Hospital, Patna
To schedule an appointment, call 0612-3540100.